Background Reading: Our Roots Historical Archive
- Birkenhead, Frederick E. Smith. (1920). The story of Newfoundland.
London: H. Marshall.
- A sketch of the history of Newfoundland from the late 1500’s
to 1920, written by Lord Birkenhead.
- Carson, William. (1813). Reasons for colonizing the island
of Newfoundland(microform): in a letter addressed to the inhabitants. Greenlock, England: Greenock,
Glasgow and Edinburgh.
- Dr. W. Carson has written a letter to outlining reasons for colonizing
Newfoundland. It is written with great passion about the colony of
Newfoundland in the year 1813. It addresses a letter he wrote earlier
to Members of Parliament of the united Kingdom of Great Britain and
- Harvey, M. (1890). A short history of Newfoundland: England’s
oldest colony. Boston, Massachusetts.: Doyle & Whittle.
- Provides a history of Newfoundland, chapter by chapter, from 1001-1890.
- McGregor, John. (1828). Historical and descriptive sketches
of the maritime colonies of British America. London, England. Longman,
Rees, Orme, Brown & Green.
- The author’s object in writing this book (in 1828) was to
make the Maritime Colonies of British America better known to the
- Morris, Isaac C. (1899). The dawn of the twentieth century
as pertaining to Newfoundland. St. John’s, Nfld.: unknown.
- This pamphlet was written in 1899 and gives the history of the
colonization of Newfoundland.
Robert. (1769). A concise account of North America. Dublin: J. Miliken
- Contains a description of the several British colonies on that continent,
including the islands of Newfoundland, Cape Breton, &c. as to
their situation, extent, climate, soil, produce, rise, government,
religion, present boundaries ...
Rogers, Robert. 1769
- St.John, William Charles. (1855). Catechism of the history
Boston, Massachusetts.: G.C. Rand.
- This book outlines the history of the discovery of Newfoundland,
of the settlements attempted, geography and physical features, and
accounts from 1585-1854.
- Wilson, Beckles. (1897). Tenth island: being some account of
London: Grant Richards.
- This book provides an examination of life in Newfoundland, looking
at the history, political life, physical features, agriculture, imports,
exports from the time Newfoundland became a colony to the year 1897.